Our animal residents love their fresh produce treats. Unfortunately, we don’t have a produce volunteer to cover Saturdays and the residents have voiced their displeasure about it. Bhima, our resident Gyr ox, is Produce Distribution Management. He and several other residents held a meeting regarding the lack of produce on Saturday and it was determined that a Saturday produce volunteer was needed as soon as possible. If you are interested in volunteering with rescued animals but didn’t know how you could help, being a produce volunteer might be a good fit for you.
The produce volunteer must be at least 18 years of age, reliable, courteous, professional, strong, and have a vehicle large enough to transport large amounts of produce from the Whole Foods Market Ann Arbor stores.
The produce volunteers’ duties include retrieving produce at two Whole Foods Market Ann Arbor locations, maintaining a courteous and professional relationship with Whole Foods Market employees, delivering the produce to the sanctuary in Manchester, chopping, sorting, and distributing the produce to the eagerly awaiting residents.
Please be realistic about your availability and willingness as this volunteer position takes time, dedication, and commitment.
A few important notes:
- All SASHA Farm Animal Sanctuary volunteers must be 18 years of age or older.
- Training is done at Whole Foods Market and at the sanctuary.
- Whole Foods Market is very generous to our animal residents and we want to maintain our good relationship with them, so professionalism and courtesy are extremely important to us.
- Whole Foods Market requests that produce pickups be done between the hours of 8am – 11am.
- It can take anywhere from 20-60 minutes for store pickups.
- The produce can be heavy so the volunteer must be able to lift and carry up to 40 pounds.
- Depending on the amount of produce donated, it can take 4-6 hours to sort and distribute the produce.
- Flexibility to switch with a produce volunteer on another day is available.
- The produce volunteers report directly to Bhima, the Produce Distribution Manager.
Produce volunteer is known as the best volunteer position at the sanctuary. This is not an easy position, but the produce volunteers get the best form of gratitude -nuzzles and sloppy kisses from the animal residents! They look forward to seeing their produce volunteers, and they stand by the fences and voice their excitement very loudly.
If you are interested in becoming a produce volunteer or learning more about the position, please email firstname.lastname@example.org.